10/31/12

Italian bean stew


(That's what was left of it.)

This number turned out great. I was using what I had left in my refrigerator. I have been really sticking with the plan your meals and ONLY buy according to what you plan for (except for some other snack things like apples, bananas and such)  I think it's helped cut costs (I hope) I know we are not throwing away tons of produce that gets bad before I can use it. And it has helped alleviate stress trying to decide what to make with limited diet options.   If someone asked me "I am now gluten free, what would be the best tips for me?"  I would say-
  • Buy some freaking gluten free cookbooks. 
  • Rice flour is not your only option and shouldn't be- there are healthier grains that make you actually feel full compared to empty calories, not to mention if you have sugar issues, you shouldn't be living off of it anyways. My mother in law who is diabetic says the recommended serving of rice per day is a 1/4 cup. Wow, that does not work well if you use rice with your meals as well as making some "Bread products".   Look into using :Sorghum, Teff, almond and bean flour. 
  •  Plan plan plan!!! Plan your meals for each day. Pick 2-3 easy quick meals and the rest can be meals that take a little more time but you will enjoy them and be happy. And you can decide day to day which meal you feel like eating or if your short of time you can make one of the quick ones. 

This has taken SO much stress off of life. The last year there would be so many telephone calls to the husband "I don't know what to eat!!!" or "I need food!" or "I can't eat anything!" or "Get your butt home and help me figure out something" or -- the list goes on. Sorry husband for all the grief.  It's a hard world I tell ya.  But, it can get easier. Yes. It can get easier. YOU ARE NOT ALONE, and your not crazy (just thought I'd throw that in there, because I felt like it at times) Especially trying to take care of kids on top of that!

Italian bean stew

1yellow onion
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
olive oil
3 carrots- cut into chunks
2 potatoes- cubed
1/2 head of green cabbage cut into chunks
1 can green beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can white northern beans
1 cup gluten free pasta
4 cups of  GF chicken broth (you can use veggie)
Parsley 3 T
Oregano 2 t
Basil 3/4 t
Thyme 1/2
Salt 1 1/2 t
Pepper 1/4 t 


Saute your chopped onion and garlic until translucent. Add the rest of your veggies and stir in for about 2 minutes. Add all of the rest of your ingredients except the pasta and cook it until the potatoes and carrots are the right texture (not too hard not to soft)

In a separate pan while the above is cooking, cook your GF noodles. Add them in your bowl when you eat. Store in a separate  container so they don't go mushy the next day.  So easy and so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment