4/14/12

Kale bean soup and such...

Today was husbands birthday celebration. We celebrated along with some close friends of his. We went to Tucano's. For me that meant calling ahead of time to see if there was anything I could eat that was Gluten, Corn AND Dairy free. *That's a mighty long list to remember.
The man on the other line assured me that I could eat most of everything there.
Well we sat down to eat and everyone was looking at their menus. I didn't have a menu. I just waited to ask the server. He left before I could say anything and everyone left to go dig in.
I started to stress. I thought, "Oh gosh, this is going to be ridiculous, why did I come? I'm just going to be some special case here and I get to be a show for everyone".
So while everyone sat down with their food and started eating I sipped my lemon water.
I felt like crying. I hate being the center of attention and I am so shy when it comes to explaining a problem. My husband went and found a guy to show me what I could eat. He kept forgetting what I was allergic too and said I could eat all the pasta dishes, and the mashed potatoes- Well I know I can't have pasta and I know mashed potatoes are made with dairy generally. So I kept reminding him of what I was allergic too. Basically it came down to salad. I could eat salad. and there were a selection of meats I could eat, however I am not a hug meat eating girl. I settled on 1- the sirloin steak, but they sure don't give you a lot or large pieces. I probably had 2 or 3 thin slivers and a huge salad. The dressings were all off limit, but they did have balsamic vinegar and red wine and olive oil. However the balsamic had Carmel color which is derived from wheat or corn *I can't remember, so I settled for the red wine vinegar. There was a selection of vinegarized items such as tomatoes , mushrooms and olives which I enjoyed. And I had a few pieces of grilled pineapple. I would probably go again just to get a chance to eat out somewhere since I haven't been able to eat out anywhere for months, and lets face it, I need a break. But first time around was hard, and I couldn't remember what meat was what and which had spice and which didn't so it felt like I was asking continually if this or that had this or that in it. Which is a stress er for me.
I told my husband I never wanted to do that again (kind of a lie, because I want to get out, kind of true because I feel like a freak)

But I got over it.

The evening was chilly, with a storm brewing in the hills above us.
I love the smell of a good storm.



Child-1 asked me if I could make some soup. That
was probably the only thing I could make with the limited ingredients I had on hand. I looked up pinterest and found this AMAZING tasting White bean and Kale soup.

"1 teaspoon olive oil

2 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, peeled, diced medium
1 large parsnip, peeled, diced medium
8 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, diced medium
1 cup dry quinoa
1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch kale (about a pound), rough stems removed, torn into bite sized pieces

Herb blend:
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (see crushing fennel tip)
1 teaspoon dried majoram
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Fresh black pepper, to taste

Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium high heat. Saute leeks and garlic in oil with salt for about 3 minutes, or however long it takes you to prep your carrot and parsnip. Add carrot and parsnip, along with the herb blend, turn heat up to high and saute for a few seconds.

Add vegetable broth, potatoes and quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, until potatoes and quinoa are tender. Add kale and beans, and stir frequently until kale is wilted. Cover and simmer on low for 5 more minutes. Taste for salt"



It was seriously one of the best soups I've and and it will definitely be added to my favorites list. The merry of spices were so amazing. I don't recall ever using fennel, marjoram and rosemary together but I felt like I was in an aromatic heaven.

I remembered why I was still doing this - being a gluten, corn and dairy free maniac.
(well besides not wanting an allergic reaction)

I was set on getting better. Healthy and better so that I could take care of my kids at the wee morning hours and not get sick. Healthy enough to do normal activities that everyone else seems to enjoy, and having energy to do it.
Then the events from the day didn't seem as bad as I made them up to be in my mind. I am in control of things. I can choose how I want things to play out. Hopefully next time I'll be more in control of my emotions and learn to enjoy the time, not just feel sorry for myself.
I hadn't realized how much social time became about food.

Was it really about the other people? Yes,
But I probably showed up more for the food.

How about now I have the chance to get to know others without having food get in the way? It sounds like a healthy change to me at least...





My amazing husband also went out to finish my beautiful square (not so square) garden. I'm so excited to try it out this year.
Here's to an amazing year with a new attitude and abundant health :)






No comments:

Post a Comment